Sunday, October 5, 2014

Destined to Love


 DESTINED TO LOVE.
“Good. First of all, I’m sorry about last night. I should have handled things differently.”
“Mason, please…”
“Angel, let me talk.”
“Ok.” It’s the only thing I say. Mason is never short with me; I know he has something important to say.
“Last night you told me you took three pregnancy tests. Is that right?”
“Yes.”
“Where did you buy them?”
“What difference…”
“Where, Angel?”
“Publix.”
“Did you take them all at once or did you wait in between?”
“I took one, waited for the results, then took another one. I couldn’t pee right away so I had to drink some water before I took the last one.”
“I see.”
“Look, I don’t see what difference it makes about where I bought them or how long I waited to pee in between the tests.”
“Angel, what does this say?” he asks, pointing to his name tag, smiling.
I have to smile too. “It says, Mason Myles.”
“Look again, what else does it say?”
Damn him, I know where he’s going with this. I lean forward and squint my eyes to make it seem like I can’t read the rest of it.
“What else does it say, Angel?”
“It says, Mason Myles, M.D., I smile.”
“Very good, do you know why it says M.D. after my name?”
I don’t say anything, I just look at him.
“I’ll tell you why. I went to medical school for a very long time to get those initials after my name. Believe it or not, I’m a pretty smart man and one thing I know a lot about is medicine.”
“Ok, doctor, I get it. What is your point?”
“Angel, my point is, sometimes those tests you buy in the grocery stores, supermarkets, or pharmacies are old and outdated. Sometimes those tests are not accurate or can give a false positive. My point is, maybe it was an old test and maybe, just maybe, it was a false positive.”
“Oh God, I never thought about that,” I say, leaning back into the couch.
There is a knock at the door. Mason stands and goes to the door to answer it. I don’t see anyone, but I can hear him talking to his office manager and friend, Carla. He closes the door and carries the food over and places it on the coffee table.
Mason sits beside me on the couch. He takes my hand in his and says, “Angel, look at me.”
I look up at him.
“I would like to give you a pregnancy test here, draw some blood and send it out to be tested. I want to be positive so we know what our future holds for us.”
I just sit there. I hear him but I don’t say anything. There is hope that I may not be pregnant, pregnant with Jim’s baby.
When I look at him, he asks, “Would you be willing to take a pregnancy test here? I’ll send it out with an alias listed on it, so no one will know it’s you.”
“You think maybe those tests were wrong?”
“I don’t know,” he says, stroking my knuckle with his thumb. “I just want to be 100 percent positive so we know what to expect.”
“Of course, I will. Whatever it takes to know, I’ll do it.”
“That’s my girl,” Mason smiles. “Let’s eat first, then I’ll get a blood sample from you.”


No comments:

Post a Comment